Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Is too much tech making me a lazy teacher?

So as I've chronicled the past couple posts, I've switched schools and about everything is different; traditional to block, full year to semesters, AP to basic level classes. on and on.  Some changes are nice, others not as much, but one that has been both positive and negative for me has been our use of technology here at new school.  Every student has a laptop, so we're 1:1 and certainly I'm trying to maximize these new tools.  I think more than a few teachers here see them as just a distraction for the students, I'm hoping to have them be more than just something they can watch netflix, youtube, or play video games on.

For some things, it's been great.  I really like the Canvas program that we use.  The entire class is on the website and it links into our gradebook tools to, so I can export their grades directly into the gradebook.  All of the assignments, projects are linked there, it's easy for me to use programs like Kahoot and Socrative for quick quizzes or exit tickets.  But, I feel like I'm spending more and more time behind my desk or standing aimlessly around while they work (or pretend to work).  And while I know this is gearing them more towards the real world, where their employers will give them a task/job/whatever and expect them to get it done.  And not that I want to be the "sage on the stage" at all times (or much at all); I'm not sure how much I'm really teaching.  I don't know if I'm really doing much different than I did before with a traditional hour long class, and maybe the extra 30 minutes just makes it seem like I'm sitting on my butt more.  I think the balance is just harder to achieve and with so much being new, this is another thing I'm still trying to figure out.  At least these exit tickets and Kahoot quizzes allow me to check to see if the students are grasping things (and for the most part they are).

I just can't help but feel a bit lazy.  Maybe that's more a "me" issue than a 1:1 issue though.....

No comments:

Post a Comment