Thursday, February 4, 2016

In need of some tweeking

So I'm a week or so in at the new place and the transition is going alright, but there is one thing I'm certainly having to figure out, and that's teaching block scheduling rather than just traditional 60 min classes.  As I do this, I really am trying to make sure that I don't just find and give busy work as filler, but it's challenge now as I have some that fly through work and others that never have enough time.  I think I need to do more and more creative things with their laptops since we're 1:1 too.  Lots of things to explore, but this seems to be my new challenge.  I don't have that constant drive that AP gave me to learn as much as possible since I know this course is not ramped up as much and doesn't have the writing aspects but I have to find something to drive and push me.  I've had a couple classes already were a majority of the class is finished well before the bell, so I'm needing to find something to compete with the desires of youtube on their laptops.  Next week we'll have our first project, our world religion travel itineraries which I'm excited about and hoping that can be something to push them to learn something new and spark some creativity as well.  I also think I'll need to try something I saw from the great Alice Keeler (Google tech guru) and that's have the students create something on thinglink (or really any new website) without really giving them the parameters or rubric and really allow them to work independently or collaboratively to figure out this new site and learn to create their own project how they want it to be rather than be confined by what the teacher wants.  It's a bit scary since we teachers like to have a certain amount of control, but I'm excited to see how it goes.

Any ideas for good digital tools, etc let me know.  I'll let you know how the adjustment goes and how the thinglink idea goes.  Thanks for reading as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment